Sunday, June 9, 2013

Chocolate Shortbread Cookies

I seem to be craving chocolate more than usual, which is saying something believe you me, and I remembered a mouth-watering rich chocolate goodie I used to bake up.  I found this easy to whip up chocolate shortbread recipe back in 2006 on the 'Chipits' site.  

I did omit the white Chipits when I baked these up as I wanted to roll them and cut them out into shapes.  By all means add it some white chocolate chips, or mini chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips.  But these are definite winners on their own without the add ins.

The dough comes together nicely in a stand mixer and is fairly soft but can still be quickly kneaded together and patted out to about 1/4 inch thickness.  You could even drop the dough by spoonfuls and flatten slightly with the heel of your hand onto the prepared sheets to hasten the process.

Little Chocolate Angels
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cups icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup cocoa
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
chocolate chips if desired

Preheat oven to 300F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Beat butter, sugar and vanilla until creamy.  Add in cocoa and blend well.  Gradually add flour, stirring until smooth.  (I did all steps in my stand mixer using the #1 speed when adding in cocoa and flour).
Roll or pat the dough out to about 1/4-inch thickness on lightly floured surface.  (I patted out in 3 different portions for ease of handling.) Using cookie cutter cut out desired shapes and place about an inch apart on prepared sheets.  You can re-roll scrapes of dough.

Bake for about 15-20 minutes until firm.  

Like I mentioned how easy is that and they are superb...well in my humble opinion.

These will also freeze well!  Great with a cup of tea or coffee on a beautiful Sunday in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment